Monday, July 16, 2007

whirlwind

Last week provided me the opportunity to learn plenty of new information. On Wednesday we met up with Dan Gardoqi who brought us on trekking through the woods to look at animal signs. I recently became interested in tracking animals and was eager to know more of the local animals and the various signs behind. It struck me as funny that I all along I probably was looking at signs but just never associated them with any specific creatures. We discovered some interesting sights and plenty of animal markings. We not only saw typical scat but also bark nibbling of squirrels (Right), moose rubbings (which were awesome, I want to see a moose!)(Upper Left), numerous feather, and chewed branches from porcupines. I am trying to become more aware of my surroundings and really observe signs of the critters of not only New Hampshire but those native to other areas.

Thursday morning was spent wading in the Beaver pond with David Burdick, a professor at UNH who knows his wetlands! I had never really been exposed to wetlands and the science and nature behind them. It was a lot to take in, in two or so hours! I definitely enjoyed myself because I'm learning something new. I was given the chance to absorbed a ton of new information and its all very excited to me :). We took several samples of the soil in the marsh, on the edge, and then from just near the water. I was surprised to see the differences in color, texture, and where the oxygen line lay. Looks a little gross in this picture but those are all our samples.

Now on to today! Over the weekend we were given the chance to mull over all our project ideas, in hopes that today we could narrow ourselves down and pick groups. We managed, after deliberating which were similar and could be combined, which seemed to have a lack interest, and which seemed to stand out on their own, to narrow it down to three groups. I'm really thrilled with my group and I have a feeling we will work very good together. Our plan is to set up a sort of scavenger hunt throughout the Barrington Headwaters and at each site provide an environmental and educational learning experience through activities. I'm ready for tomorrow to get back out into the field and start our point plotting.

I've been learning so much within this Summer Institute I'm amazed and more eager. I think I've really found my niche! Each day provides the opportunity for more growth, more learning, and more knowledge to be bestowed upon me.

No comments: