Monday, July 23, 2007

Hard at Work

Today was a very productive day in terms of our group project. In the afternoon we each went our separate ways and did work on our individual lesson sites. I got a lot of writing out of the way. I had previously researched the history of the homestead site last week and today began writing my lesson plan. It was great to research the history of the area and I stayed much more general than I initially had planned. I figured since Katie is doing the cemetery, she will be doing more of the specifics, such as the actual families that resided there. Due to the nature of the activity I have planed, I do not want to give too much away in the history. I really want the students to explore the site and figure out for themselves what the landscape is telling them. They are the detectives!

I am anxious to see the rest of my groups ideas and plans and then work it all in together. I feel like we are so separate right now and I really want to feel more like a group. Though we do work very well together and I love working with these girls! Tomorrow we plan on heading out into the field and working together a bit more. I think once our research and writing is done we will come together a bit more to work on the overall layout of the website and the GPS maps.

Aside from the project, I am relieved that the first draft of my pedagogy is done. I took my time writing it and feel pretty good on the final outcome. I stated my beliefs and tried not to make it too wordy by adding in flowery language to fill space :). It will be nice to see how Lara felt about it and what comments she has added. Constructive criticism is always helpful!

4 comments:

Katherine Lanzer, Touch Tank Coordinator said...

I totally agree -- group work is tough, especially when we have our own work to do before we can fit the pieces together. You're doing a great job; I can see that you are passionate about the subject matter. And your efforts to keep the group connected are recognized and appreciated!

bug lover said...

It sounds like you are moving right along. I agree that much of the class seems seperate from each other I am hoping we'll all reconnect soon. Your blog is great and you pictures are fantastic. It is cool to read these blogs when we already have some personal insite in the story. Keep up the good work.

OZOne said...

Oh the pushing a prodding about a pedagogy. I too, took my time. I've been teaching for 19 years and yet E. had plenty of constructive feedback. It has been helpful. For now, I'm convinced, what I want for my students is to feel comfortable with whom they are and hopeful about their future. Perhaps, pedagogies are important.

Yvonka said...

How could you forget your password?