Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It's all Starting

We're really starting to get to the heart of the Summer Institute. Today I left feeling a bit, not so much overwhelmed, but more so of..."it's all starting now."

My group, the Navigators headed back to the Barrington Headwaters to scope out some sights and figure out where each of us would be most comfortable. I'm big into the Natural History of the area and so my interests lead me to the cellar hole, barn, and stonewall (Left) of one of the old homesteads. I'm really excited to start my research and look into when these families arrived, how many there were on the Barrington property, why they left, how long they stayed, what did they do there, what did a typical house look like, and then family structure. I feel really lucky because another group member is also interested at looking into the families and more on the cemetery on site. I feel that we will collaborate well and have plenty to bounce off one another. We located three other sites as well (Right) and are planning on going to the headwaters tomorrow to find the other potential beaver pond. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all works together and the end product!

Tonight we are also beginning the Pedagogy process. The outlines are due tomorrow...yikes! But I'm really not that nervous about it because I have a really good foundation and know that we have plenty of time to revise. This is a work in progress and I'm interested to see where mine goes and how it all pans out.

Everything is really coming together and we are beginning all the activities, projects, and thought processes that we came here to do. It can see and feel a little overwhelming but it is something that I really am passionate for.

1 comment:

Eleanor Abrams said...

Steph,

You seem to approach this kind of learning experience with just the right amount of energy and calm. I think this kind of learning might be a strength when you teach. I am glad you have found a spot of the BH that is inspiring for you. It is a favorite spot of mine. I often ask my 10 year old son as we walk or jog down past the homestead what he thinks he would be doing if he lived there in the early 1800s? It has generated some interesting dialogues.