Thursday, July 19, 2007

It's a Poem Day

Today we did a small workshop on poetry and this is the outcome. Enjoy....

Summer on the Rocks

It’s summer and again I am here

The scene flashes by in the window
houses blurred, faces scrambled
ah, but the scent,
that lingers on…
the rotting smell of the sea,
I know that I am almost home.
The clumps of seaweed draped over boat lines,
dangle just so, like the most elegant crystals
signs of a rough see
…perfect

It’s summer and again I am here

The sun warms my face as I move from inside out
We step lightly on the prickly grass,
scramble to get to safety.
Tiptoeing around along the rough stone wall
with a little leap downwards,
we finally arrive!

It’s summer and again I am here

The large, smooth boulders surround he small cool pools,
the tide is shifting.
As the furious seawater drifts away, our playground emerges
waves gently lap against the stony shore,
my eyes burn from the intense heat
but I’m staying, my exploration has just begun.
The ocean sprays my face with a mist,
continuously I lick my lips
I can’t get enough of the cool, salty, wonderful taste

It’s summer and again I am here

Midday and the tidal pools are ready,
small hermit crabs bustle about.
Unexpectedly I grab one,
I disrupt his day out of wonder
As he sits in his shell, I close my eyes
“I am not here, come out and visit”
Seagulls fly over, squwaking as the go
fishing vessels motor about and a hum is echoed throughout.
One eye open…
“Caught you, you silly crab!”
his small pinchers emerged from his shell
not long after, his bugging eyes peer around.
I put him down and go about

It’s summer and again I am here

The darkening sky threatens night
and I don’t want to leave
I’m not done playing yet, I still have much to learn
The lights burn bright in the windows, warmth
Parents faces look out and the beckoning begins.
We trudge across the slippery rock floor that has been ours for the day,
Jump up onto that hateful grass
Tired and warm we emerge from our home, enter a different place

It’s summer time and again I am here

2 comments:

Lara said...

Thank you for posting your poem. It is a treat to reread it.

You really captured summer and all its colors, smells, and sounds.

OZOne said...

I love this poem and your reading of it. Thanks for sharing it. Rick